Friday, January 22, 2010

Jambelí




On the morn after Christmas, Marilou (my host parents' good friend who was born here in Puerto Bolívar, now lives in Miami, and is staying in our house for a couple months) came into my room and asked me if I wanted to go to Jambelí, the closest beach. I hopped out of bed, got dressed, and grabbed my sunscreen and Blues Brothers shades.

The only way to get there is by boat from the pier near my house. It takes about thirty minutes on the tiny, vacillating boat. I went with Marilou, cousin Roberto, and his wife, Meng. We pulled on the life jackets and luckily made it to Jambelí safely. The thing about Jambelí is that a couple months ago, the tide kept getting higher and higher and it kind of destroyed the beach (and like the buildings on the island of Jambelí). They're still reconstructing it, and because of that, there weren't many people. There were workers shoveling sand off the side walk, and there was only like fifteen feet of beach. It was such a hot day and we walked along the beach. We had an "encebollado de pescado" and then got seats under a nice umbrella, where we gazed at the ocean.

That's pretty much all we did. We ate again. I had some shrimp "ceviche." I spent my Boxing Day on a beach in Ecuador. How great.

No comments:

Post a Comment