Sunday, January 17, 2010

Navidad

So I thought Christmas Eve was going to be a day full of family, but when I woke up that morning, everybody was already at work. Later in the day I wrapped gifts with my sister-in-law Paola while we listened to my collection of Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby Christmas songs.

I took a nap to prepare for the late night, and relatives started coming around 11:00 pm. We ate a big turkey meal, with the kids continually asking the parents how much time there was until midnight. Then when the clock struck twelve, the chaos of present-passing and present-opening began. A popular gift for me were t-shirts: I got two of the Galapagos Islands, one of Ecuador, and one button-up short-sleeve (plus the t-shirt I got from my MO parents). We stayed up and talked with family. Later we had a visit from the neighbor who is someone important in the military.

The next morning I ate some of the leftover dinner (which we ate for probably the next week. This tradition is the same in every country). I walked to the nearby grocery store and got ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies (chocolate chips provided by MO family because there aren't any here). My neices and nephew helped me make them. They turned out a little unevenly cooked so we moved to Paola's oven, but they were still kind of formless. We're thinking it was because we used tub butter instead of stick butter. We still ate them, along with a fair share of the dough. A popular name donned by my neices for the cookies is "Logan chips" - and they continue to ask me when we're going to make them again. In between cooking the cookies, I took a dip in the pool under the hot sun with the rest of the family!

(Also to celebrate the Christmas time, I put up the sticky snowflakes my family sent me on my bathroom mirror)

1 comment: